Friday, January 27, 2012

realism

So, I finally lowered my expectations regarding weight loss goals... at least on MFP. The app has this goal setter that allows you to choose how much weight you want to lose per week. Naturally, I set it to the highest it would go: -2 lbs per week, because I thought my body could handle it.

Truth is, my body totally could handle eating 1800 calories a day. If I ate all the right things, I would not starve or even be hungry much. BUT I'm not doing that. I'm eating fairly healthy things in large portions, and occasionally stuffing my face with junk. I thought I could keep myself accountable by entering everything I ate. When I reached my daily calorie limit, I rolled eaten calories over onto the next day, hoping to make up the difference with exercise/restricted eating. The reality? I've been going into each day with a decreasing number of calories, because of the debt that is accumulating. The exercise makes me hungry, and I end up eating more calories.

It's a vicious cycle, as you can see. So what can I do? For starters, I told MFP I want to lose 1 lb per week. My new calorie limit seems more manageable. And I have decided that I will not enter any exercise I do, so I will not receive "extra calories". Instead, all of that will go into the deficit bank, which will hopefully translate to weight loss.

What are your thoughts on these lowered expectations? Am I just giving in to my own desires? Or am I being realistic?

PS: I contacted the dance team regarding their invitation... We'll see!

2 comments:

  1. it's a difficult question. I think it could be beneficial so long as you don't allow yourself to get even more "practical". just make sure you stay honest with yourself/your phone.
    as for the dance team - i am super excited about that! i think that will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the dance team is great. That is something that I always wanted to do too, but I was never at a point when going to a church with one that I felt comfortable.

    As for the realism. I'm with Andrea. You need to be careful that you aren't just adjusting your goals to make it easier and not more realistic. I think that loosing the 1lb per week is a great goal. A week when you loose that much is indeed a victory. However, I think you should always set your goals to something that is difficult to obtain. It makes you reach. Those are my thoughts. I know it's difficult.

    Desires are something that I've been dealing a lot with lately. Check out the first book of James. When he's talking about "desire" there in the verses 13-15 he's talking about deformed desire. Remembering craving is good as long as we fill that craving with the right stuff. I'll be praying that God would speak to your heart what He wants for you in this journey.

    ReplyDelete