Thursday, April 26, 2012
mileage
It's been approximately 18 days since Easter, and last time I checked, I had gained back 4 lbs... So much for breaking my patterns of unhealthy eating! Looking back on the Daniel fast, I think the major thing I learned is that I live to eat, not vice versa. When I was eating a seriously restricted diet, eating was not all that enjoyable, so I only did it when I was hungry... you know, like we're supposed to.
After Easter, I thought that maybe I could keep that going but continuing to abstain from certain food groups. But somehow the spell of the fast had been broken, and every forbidden food found its way in. I stopped tracking when I was on the fast, and I have done MFP maybe twice since it ended. I am still not sure if that app is the way to go, but I am thinking about weight watchers. I feel like the points program would be better than just calorie counting. Maybe I can get my mom to go with me.
I've also found an interesting parallel between my driving and eating habits. Recently I have been using a hybrid car that gives me a running estimate of my mpg. I like to keep it above 60 mpg, but sometimes that means going slower than I want to. So often I end up choosing speed over mileage, thinking "Oh, I'll make it up later by driving more conservatively". I'm the same way with eating. I want to be healthier, but sometimes that means saying "no" to food and "yes" to exercise. Yet, I often find myself saying "I'll eat _____ now and make it up with exercise [later/tomorrow]." And I almost NEVER follow through. So I end up with too many calories in and not enough burned, and that affects my mpg.
Lastly, I'm realizing that my goals are too vague. Most people have a goal weight or size, but I have a hard time with that because those numbers don't convey what I can do. I want to have a fitness goal (e.g. running a marathon) that I can train for. But I don't want to run a marathon, biking hurts my knees, and I can't swim well. So that leaves... hiking? Maybe I can train to climb a mountain...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think Weight Watchers is a great idea. I am a little biased though. I've been doing weight watchers for the past 22 months. It is wonderful and takes into account the whole nutritional value of the food you are eating and not just the calories. I also find myself eating and "claiming" to work out for it later, and I never do. I have started making a calendar of workouts. And I get a sticker for every workout that I complete. It sounds a little elementary, but I think that's what I need. I thought I couldn't run, but I ran a 5K last year for cancer. It helps to have a cause more than myself that I'm exercising for. I hope that helps, and I will certainly be praying for you. Also, I'm excited that you'll be coming to VA soon!!! Love you!
ReplyDelete