Tuesday, July 26, 2011

don't even go there

So lately I've been struggling with the idea of "everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial". I have mentioned a strategy in which I substitute the phrase "I can eat X if I do Y exercise" for the phrase "I can have this treat because..." However, I'm beginning to wonder if that strategy doesn't work well for people dealing with food addiction.

 Some foods are a road well traveled for me, that always ends in a serious overindulgence. Most cereals, baked goods, and salty snack foods fall into this category. Eating one little bit starts a chain reaction in which I find myself unable to eat only a single portion UNLESS it is individually packaged (who knew cellophane was a psychological forcefield?). But buying individually packaged snacks is super expensive and portioning into snack-size ziplocs is NOT the same. Somehow that zipper doesn't deter me one bit... maybe because it's resealable?

I used to think it was normal to have certain foods that I just can't control myself around, and anyone who puts those foods in my path is sabotaging me... But that takes the power out of MY hands, when in reality it is my HANDS that are doing the sabotaging by reaching for that cookie, chip, etc.

So now I'm leaning more toward just avoiding these "trigger" foods. It's not like they're a vital part of the food pyramid (though I hear now it's shaped like a plate...). Having one sweet/salty treat at a party may one day become an option, but for now it's an invitation to sin, so I'm going to say to myself "don't even go there!"

No comments:

Post a Comment